n comparison to graphic user interfaces (GUI), how might tangible user interfaces (TUI) help strengthen a sense of commitment and improve user engagement to carry out a plan?
Some studies argue that the advantage of TUI over traditional GUI is still unclear, while others state that physicality of the TUI increases enjoyment and has a stronger potential for engagement.
This project attempts to compare these two arguments.
- The purpose of this prototype is to help people to build a new daily routine.
- First, decide on the task and set a time.
- The task must be easy and digestible.
- When the alarm turns on, turn it off with a decisive gesture.
- This means a start of the task.
- When finished, use the same gesture to log complete for the day.
- It tracks 7 days of progress.
What could be a ‘decisive gesture’ for completing a goal, how can this moment be made physical?
- TUI is not exactly better than GUI
- Unstable environment has been more critical to the plan
- TUI-based notifications are not as effective as GUI because users cannot carry the TUI device at all times
Strengths of the TUI
- Stronger emotions
- Greater attachment
- Feels conclusive & satisfying
- Lasting impression
- Promise of better sustained results
- The smartphones are superior as a notification tool, but they lack something tangible to ground the following action.
There is potential benefit to blending GUI for notification, and TUI for input. Having a tangible device in front of you is harder to ignore compared to simply closing an app.