Designing interactions with proactive ambient artefacts
How is the experience of using a proactive smart personal assistant and/or interactive robot shaped through the means and frequency of feedback?
Five principles for shaping proactive interaction
- Define the artefact’s purpose and the user’s expectations.
- Balance feedback both in terms of means and timeframe (frequency).
- Consider spatial implications in relation to utilized means of feedback.
- Revisit the notion of gaining versus losing control.
- Explore the concept of annoyance as a design material, and the human-artefact relationship.